Monday 13 February 2012

TMA addiction

I am currently making good progress with the TMA's because I can't stop doing the questions. I keep thinking that I'll put the question paper away for a bit and get on with some more reading but I can't help having a little look at the next unanswered question. I tinker around with it and before I know it I am fleshing out the whole answer. So TMA02 is done and I will post it off today and I have already completed a couple of questions from TMA03.

I had the first part of TMA01 back today and I was pleased to get 35/35 but I am slightly worried that I might have messed up something in the equivalence relation question in part 2. I have been learning a bit more about equivalence relations from the discussions on the forum and there was some discussion about whether you needed to have the reflexive condition or not. I tried to think of examples where a relation is symmetric and transitive, but not reflexive, but I found it hard to do. The trick, apparently, is to have an element of a set that is not related to any other element, including itself. I think equivalence relations are whole topic in itself and I could spend hours getting bogged down in it (which I don't intend to do!).

5 comments:

  1. Careful Duncan you are in danger of peaking to soon :). Still I admit doing TMA's is preferable to slogging through definition after definition.
    Well done for first part but then i would expect no less from your thorough approach.

    Best wishes Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I know what you mean. The danger is that I will get to the point where I haven't got any more course to do, so I switch off and go to sleep! Doing things this way has been different to the way I worked for 121 and 221. Then I would do the TMA just after I had read the book. This way I do get a sort of fresh look at a subject the second time around, so perhaps it is beneficial. Maybe by the time I do the preparation for the exam, the third go at the material will finally help to cement it into my leaky old brain.

      Delete
  2. PS reflexivity is needed to distinguish between x <= x and x < x the first is true and so reflexive but the second is obviously not. Hope this helps

    PS I'm not a robot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I see what you mean. Perhaps equivalence relations is something to study after M208 is finished. I was wondering about their application to number theory.

      Never crossed my mind that you were a robot!

      Delete
  3. No but every time I post I get asked to prove I'm not a robot by entering a word so I thought I would reassure you :)

    ReplyDelete