Wednesday 4 April 2012

More of a challenge

I have been tackling TMA05 on and off over the last week and it definitely seems more of a challenge. Actually, I quite like the situation where I am faced with a question which, at first glance, I have no idea how to start. I have got to the part of TMA05 that asks about homomorphisms, kernels and images (GTB2). One part seemed very straight forward but the other half was a bit of a devil (but worth the same marks, strangely enough). I wrestled with it for an hour or so and then I had to leave it. The next day I was out shopping and suddenly I had an idea about how to go about it. This is always such a thrill and why I like questions that are a challenge. Then comes the delicious joy of nailing it completely and seeing all the arguments and theories stack up in one neat pile. Ahhh...It is the reason why I love maths.

Unbelievably I am still finishing off AB2 - just a couple of pages to go. This has been about l'Hopital's rule for finding limits of functions of the form f(x)/g(x) where the limit is required at x=c but f(c)=g(c)=0. I watched the dvd about this topic and was pleased to see David Brannan appear on the screen - the David Brannan who wrote the book on analysis. The dvd must have been a video at one time as it is all looking a bit dated now - not quite kipper ties but verging towards that.

I reckon that at this rate I will have completed the course by about June. That will give me plenty of time for consolidation and, almost certainly, a bit of a much needed rest. The exam has now been pencilled in for Wednesday 17th October, so it will just be a case of getting through this and then I will be a free agent again. Yippee!

Or will I....

No comments:

Post a Comment