Wednesday 29 August 2012

Not long now

It has been over a month since I last posted anything here and I thought it was time for an update. The course itself is drawing to a close as, by now, we should have finished all the coursework (bar the last two TMA's). As such I am beginning to feel that slight frisson of anxiety about the impending exam in October and it is starting to get me interested in past papers.

One of the things I did do in the last week or so was to read through the specimen exam paper carefully and see if there were questions that I didn't know how to approach. This was quite useful as it highlighted some holes in my knowledge about infinite quotient groups, which I have since rectified. Also, if there are methods which I suddenly think to myself "how the hell do you do that again" I have been looking them up and adding yet more examples and notes to my handbook. One of these was the counting theorem which I would like to get off pat before the exam and I think I will have to test myself with some examples.

Generally things are going ok. I am keeping up my 100% score on the TMA's which keeps me happy and I am still ploughing on with the further questions in the course text. I stopped doing these at random and instead went for the more consistent approach of tackling a block at a time. I have done about half the questions now and they keep highlighting areas where the material hasn't sunk in very far. Strangely enough, the material I feel most comfortable with is analysis as I think I have a good feel for what's involved. Some parts of group theory and linear algebra still have the ability to cause me problems. Ideally, when I get to the exam, I would like to feel that there was no part of the paper that I couldn't do, so that it gives me confidence right from the start. I think my game plan for the first 12 questions will be to do them in order as I did in MS221. It will mean I can avoid wasting time deciding which to do first. I can't wait until around mid September when I will start doing the past papers properly and really testing out my knowledge.

2 comments:

  1. Yes the clock is ticking, tick tock tick tock. When is the date of your exam. I'll try and come along for the inevitable after exam drink

    Good luck with the revision

    Best wishes Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS Hope you get a question on the Blancmange function :)

    ReplyDelete