Tuesday 9 April 2013

First books

Well, I have made a start on the course books for 'Groups and Geometry' (M336) and 'Number theory and mathematical logic' (M381). I began with M381 and the first book, which I have now gone through, 'Foundations' deals with four topics; Numbers from Patterns, Mathematical Induction, Divisibility and the Linear Diophantine Equation, much of which I have already encountered. The material is well written and the proofs are straight-forward but the exercises are a jump up in difficulty. I found myself struggling with a few and one I just couldn't see how to do at all. Still, it is to be expected in going up from level 2 to level 3.

I then started tackling the first book of M336 on Tilings and I must say that I think I like what I have read so far. It is refreshing to enter a new area of maths that I know nothing much about. This course also seems very well written and the ideas are being built up in nice easy stages.

In the mean time I have started on the second book of M381 which is on prime numbers. As this is something that interests me greatly, I will be relishing this book and am looking forward to its contents.

I have now signed up for M381 and M336 and my next aim will be to get together the funding I need to pay for the courses.

No comments:

Post a Comment