Wednesday 30 October 2013

Good progess but it is hard going

I thought I would give a quick update on where I am at now with the courses. I finished unit 3 of Mathematical Logic but it was a huge struggle. The last parts had me ready to chuck the book out of the window in frustration. I don't think I really got all of it and at times some of the proofs seemed like pulling rabbits out of hats - you had no idea where they came from and they were as impenetrable as magic.

So I soldiered on to unit GR2 of the groups course, thinking it might be a relief but some of the proofs we are asked to come up with for ourselves are impossible at times and there is only a limited number of hours in the day I can struggle over them, so it isn't very satisfying. GR2 was about Abelian and cyclic groups and their classification. I have now moved on to book 4 of the logic course on formal systems and this has been relatively light relief.

On the other hand the TMA's are going well. I have completed both of the first TMAs for the two courses and done over half the second TMA for the groups course. The groups TMAs are, by far, much easier than the number theory and logic ones. I enjoyed the flag colouring exercise but how we are to count distinguishable flags without using any of the results from the unit and awarding only 4 marks for it beggars belief. Perhaps I missed something.

No comments:

Post a Comment